The Better Sleep Council is a non-profit organization devoted to educating the public about the importance of sleep to good health and about the value of the sleep system and sleep environment in pursuit of a good night's sleep. Following is their list of 10 Tips To Better Sleep.
- We all have too much to do, so take time out and recharge yourself by getting a good night's sleep. The quality and quantity of
your sleep can make all the difference in how productive you'll be the next day.
- Maintain a regular bed and wake time schedule, including weekends.
- Establish a regular, relaxing bedtime routine such as soaking in a hot bath or hot tub and then reading a book or listening to
- Create a sleep-conducive environment that is dark, quiet, comfortable and cool.
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows.
- Finish eating at least two to three hours before your regular bedtime.
- Exercise regularly. It is best to complete your workout at least a few hours before bedtime.
- Avoid nicotine (e.g., cigarettes, tobacco products). Used close to bedtime, it can lead to poor sleep.
- Avoid caffeine (e.g., coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate) close to bedtime. It can keep you awake.
- Avoid alcohol close to bedtime. It can lead to disrupted sleep later in the night.